Background

8/26/11

Update....Family Room project

The Family Room has become a really slow moving project but we are seeing the light!

So I changed my mind on the wall color.  We painted the swatches in different spots just to get an idea of what it would look like in different lighting.  (Which is a smart move because the color can look fabulous on the wall that gets all the sun but horrible in a darker area.) Well it ended up I did not like the color as much as I thought. 

We decided to try a yellow.  I didn't want too bright or too dark.  I once painted a kitchen yellow and it screamed at me even in the middle of the night.  I also had a yellow that was too dark and ended up looking like I painted my hallway orange, pair it with a green staircase and it looked like a pumpkin. No words could ever describe how ugly it was.....But I digress.

So I picked a color called Filoli Honey by Valspar, I LOVE IT!  It is not too bright and not too dark!  It looks like a rich buttery, almost mustard color. We are almost done painting the walls. Then we will rip out the bottom part of the stairs, wrap them around (to kind of like this), paint the stairs, put up the bead board, then put down the flooring!  And then phase one will be done!

Filoli Honey
Phase two will be A LOT slower than phase one.  We want to put up trim, wainscoting and replace all the doors but we just don't have it in the budget to do it right now. 

The first phase of this project was massive.  We ripped down all the ugly paneling and put up new drywall.  We had to replace a whole wall that had some really bad closet space one of the previous owners installed going down the hallway.  I seriously do not know what they were trying to do but it was quite the mess they had going on.  Not that we are experts or anything, but they really did not kow what they were doing!  We also ripped out another closet (I have eight huge closets in my basement, the ones on the first floor are tiny, go figure) to make a nice little alcove for the entertainment center.

We have some work ahead and we need to get off our butts and get it done!  But like everyone else we are so tired when we get home from work!  I need some motivation!

Can you picture it?  Sitting in a beautiful family room, with rich yellow walls and warm hardwood floors, chocolate colored couches and rug for the Hubs to lay on and watch TV, the girls playing their playroom once again, happy to see the toys they haven't been able to play with since January......This is my motivation!  

Wait, who am I kidding!  I am just praying we will be done before Christmas.....

No comments:

Post a Comment